TECHNOLOGY DUE DILIGENCE
Copperpod analyzes existing hardware and software systems and processes owned by the seller to provide you a clear and detailed view of the seller's architecture, growth plans and the investment that such growth will require.
1. Architectural Overview
2. Hardware owned/leased
3. Different languages and skills required for scaling the products
4. Developer documentation, agreements and manuals
5. Third Party tools and platforms used
6. Version Control and Backup Policies
7. Information Security and Storage
8. Ongoing or Planned Migrations
9. Alternative Products
CODE QUALITY AUDIT
Copperpod conducts a deep review of software products to provide key metrics on code quality - helping clients assess their investment on the following four parameters:
EASE OF MAINTENANCE
In particular, we raise red flags based on the following important metrics:
1. Code-to-Comment Ratio (for maintenance, bug-fixing and on-boarding of new developers)
2. Code Complexity (bench-marked against industry averages)
3. Copyright, Confidentiality and Authorship markings
4. Open Source to Proprietary Code Ratio (how much of the product is truly innovative?)
5. Restrictive and Conflicting Licenses (for example, using certain open source modules may require the entire product to be open source and made available to the public in source code form)
Is your target seller using open source software in his product?
Does the seller comply with licenses that govern their product?
What are Copyleft restrictions on the seller's products?
Using open source software often comes with a host of not only security risks, but also legal obligations. Copperpod helps clients make an informed assessment of how much source code in a software is truly proprietary; and obligations that the seller must fulfill for long-term sustainability of the product.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AUDIT
An accurate assessment of a company's intellectual property is seldom straightforward. Our intellectual property audit investigates existence, ownership and market potential for all patents, trademarks, trade secrets and other intellectual property owned by the seller.
Identify high-potential intellectual property assets for acquisition
Identify tangible and non-tangible IP assets owned by seller and monetization potential
Freedom to Operate
Does the product infringe on competitors' patents, did employees unknowingly misappropriate any trade secrets from previous employers?
Are there pending patent litigation campaigns that may in the future impact the seller's products and services?
Do they exist?
Are they protected?
Do the employees know that they exist?
Copperpod also provides licensing support for identifying licensing opportunities for existing patent assets - helping clients realize a faster and greater return on investment.
We also help companies launch customized Idea-To-Asset initiatives for fostering and awarding new IP generation from engineering teams.