Patents for Students | Episode 2 | Eligibility Criteria to File a Patent
This is the second episode of our series on "Students and Patents - Intellectual Property" and this episode talks about the eligibility criteria for students to file a patent and the importance of patents for a student.
In the first video, we spoke about five important points that a student should know about.
1. Whether he/she is eligible to file a patent?
2. What does he/she need to do to obtain a patent?
3. How can the university help him/her?
4. How much does it cost to a student to get a patent?
5. How much money can he and the university make after getting a patent?
Now, to take it further, the first point is whether a student is eligible to file a patent application?
In fact, there is no law that defines an eligibility criteria on who can file a patent and who cannot. Literally, anyone can file an application to get a patent. The only rule set by the government is that a patent should essentially describe an invention or an improvement or modification to a previous invention.